Home appliances are a great aide to your everyday life chores. However with time, especially when not taken good care of you might have to face some rusty spots on them.
As a general idea, modern home appliances are made of the so called stainless steel. This steel is covered with a special chrominum oxide layer meant to enhance the metal’s ability of resisting stain and rust. When damaged, the layer becomes unable to resist the rust and you start noticing rusty spots on your precious home appliances. Rust is not a “verdict” and there do exist ways of getting rid of it but before it’s too late you can simply avoid it.
So let’s first discuss the initial steps that you are recommended to take in order not to have to deal with rusty spots on your home appliances later on.
Home Appliances – How to Protect Them from Rust
There might be a few reasons that cause the damaging of the layer. However, when taken good care of you can avoid these reasons and their results on your home appliances. A few tips concerning this are as follows:
- Don’t use cleaners that contain: 1. Chlorides such as fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, etc. 2. Alcohol, ammonia or mineral spirits.
- Avoid using steel wool or steel brushes as their small particles might cling to the metal and cause rusting.
- If after all you have had to use these cleaners, then make sure you wipe them off of your appliance perfectly. There should be no trace of them left. This will help avoid the damaging of the protective chrominum oxide layer.
Use the Right Cleaners for Everyday Cleaning
Home appliances are not cheap and you should follow their maintenance in order to get the best out of them. Coming back to our main topic, another great thing is that you will not have to deal with rust removal process if you clean your home appliances on a daily basis with the right cleaners. The latter would even give some additional protection and strength both to the steel and the chrominum oxide layer. Dust, dirt and fingerprints are unavoidable. So we advise you to carry out their cleaning with a mild soap/dish detergent mixed in warm water.
- Use the mixture to clean the dirt from the surface of the appliances.
- Rinse with water and a clean cloth.
- Then dry the cleaned spot.
- You can also use a special cleaner made for the cleaning of stainless steel. Look for the quality ones recommended by certified brands
However you can’t always be careful and watchful enough after your home appliances. In addition to this nothing lasts forever and some day even after good care, rust might still do its job. The good part of this is that you can clean the rust off of your home appliances in a few simple and easy-to-do ways. The tips on the subject of rust cleaning off of your home appliances are presented in the second part of this article. Keep your home appliances clean at the same time save your money by choosing the cheap and natural ways of rust cleaning!